Welcome to the 139th Edition of the Festival of Frugality! This week’s edition celebrates the sensational achievements of Michael Phelps, holder of 15 Olympic Gold Medals and 7 World Records in swimming, in the past week and a half at the 2008 Olympics with photos and inspirational quotes from the champion himself.
I am also hosting the Money Hacks Carnival tomorrow, so be sure and check back for more great reads! If this is your first time here, please look around and consider subscribing to our RSS feed.
Now on with the carnival!
|(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)|
- Silicon Valley Blogger presents Lost Money: How Money Drains Add Up To $175,000 In 10 Years.
- MoneyNing presents Frugally and Happily Back to School 9 Different Ways.
- Kevin Brink presents “Sale” Can Sometimes be Just Another Four Letter Word.
- ISPF presents 10 Tips to Get Anyone into the Habit of Cooking at Home (Even if You Have Never Stepped into the Kitchen Before).
- Savingadvice presents Reached Financial Independence. Now What?
|“Dream big, dream as big as you can. If you dream your biggest dream, anything is possible. No matter what you set your imagination to, anything can happen.”|
The Frugal Lifestyle
- David presents 25 Frugal Ways To Reuse Everyday Household Items.
- Kate presents Time Well Spent.
- HowToMe presents How To Make a Washing Stick to Pamper Ones’ Hands.
- RC presents Making the Conscious Choice to Get By With Less.
- Anna presents Not by Bread Alone.
- Kacie presents Frivolous or frugal to outsource tasks?
|(AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye)|
Frugal Family Activities
- Joanne presents Make Stuff Your Kids Can Play With.
- K presents Five Frugal Toys Using Food.
- Aryn presents 10 Frugal Anniversary Ideas (That Are Also Romantic).
- Ryan Suenaga presents Frugal, Fun, and Healthy: Five Outdoor Activities.
- DJ presents Camping on a Dime.
- Faron Benoit presents 10 Cheap Date Night Ideas.
|“I still remember my first loss. I got touched out and I threw my goggles. I didn’t like to lose and I showed that I had to grow out of it, throwing my cap or throwing a temper tantrum on the pool deck.”|
Saving on Food: Groceries, Cooking & Dining
- Tiffanie presents 13 tips on how to maximize grocery shopping.
- FIRE Getters presents Top 5 Ways To Trim Our Grocery Bills!
- Jamie McIntosh presents Save Money With Organic Produce.
- Grey presents 5 Breakfast Ideas for Brown Rice.
- Todd presents Save 20% On Restaurant Meals.
- Adam Berry presents The Frugal Approach to Cooking.
- Megan presents Saving the Economy by Dieting?
|(AP Photo/Mark Baker)|
Shopping Tips: Sales and Coupons
- Karen presents Does a tax holiday really equal savings?
- Erin Gifford presents 5 Ways to Save Money While Shopping Online.
- Briana presents Surviving the Checkout Lane with your coupons is a breeze if you arm yourself with knowledge.
- Amy Hobbs presents Coupon Myths Debunked.
- Lisa Spinelli presents Six Money Saving Websites With Ongoing Big Fat Deals.
|“I’m not doing it for the money. I love what I do.”
Spending and Budgeting
- Emily Starbuck Gerson presents Young British couple has ‘credit crunch wedding.’
- Rich Leverage presents How to Avoid Nickel and Diming Your Way to the Poorhouse.
- KCLau presents How a medium family can retire comfortably (Real Life Case Study).
|(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)|
Back to School Saving Tips
- Kris presents If I Had Known Then: Food and Financial Advice for the College-Bound (Also, a Story).
- Tom Tessin presents Shopping Tips for College Students.
- Madison presents Back to School Savings Challenge.
- Ben presents College Dorm Room Decor Ideas – How to Decorate Your Dorm on a Budget.
- squawkfox presents Printable Dorm Room Essentials Checklist.
|In answer to: How long are you in the pool?
“Anywhere from two to five hours a day, but if you don’t put the work in, you can’t really expect to get much out of it. I’m more than willing to put the work in so I’m swimming fast at the end of the year.”
Saving on Transportation
- Jim presents 547 Ways to be Fuel Smart by Roger Albright.
- Steve Faber presents Top 12 Cars With the Best Gas Mileage That are Actually Fun to Drive.
- Steward presents Bike Commuting Is Tough on the Tush.
- Curt presents How to Minimize Your Automobile Total Cost of Ownership.
- Penny Nickel presents The true costs of driving– how much could you save on transportation?
- Pamela Grundy presents Unbelievable Car Rental Deal! Thanks Alamo!
|(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)|
Personal Financial Journeys (Stories)
- Amanda Milne presents You Can Have Frugality and Quality of Life.
- NtJS presents What Is: The Smartest Advice You Ever Got – Mrs. NtJS’s Turn.
- The Happy Rock presents The little things…starting to trim the budget.
- APFB presents A Lifelong Money Lesson.
|“Back in the winter, at 5.30am, when I didn’t want to get up and train on some cold and dark morning I’d still make myself snap on the light and look inside my swimming cap. ‘Athens’ is stitched on the inside. I’d get up then. I’d grab my bag and head for the pool. I’ve been doing that 365 days – year after year. I can’t remember the last day I didn’t train. Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day. I haven’t missed one of ’em for years. And every single day I got that word, Athens, running right round my head.”|
Miscellaneous Savings Tips
- J. Savings presents Avoid Overdraft Fees by Tying your Checking to your C/C.
- Chief Family Officer presents Money Saving Tip: Check the address for recurrent online payments.
- Amy presents 13 Uses for Vinegar.
- Shaula presents Finding Free WiFi.
- Livingalmostlarge presents Frugal Tip – Use CC to buy Gas.
- Randy presents 12 Free and Fantastic Windows Applications.
- Abby Freedman presents How to get something for nothing.
- Joseph presents Saving Money At Garage And Yard Sales.
|(AP Photo/David J. Phillip)|
- Michael Geoffrey presents What Do You Believe About Money?
- Dorian Wales presents How to Invest Wisely In a Bear Market?
- Sandy Naidu presents Emergency Fund Savings – Emergency Fund Tips.
- Nina Smith presents Five Things Not Worth Repairing.
- Kevin presents Should You Invest in Visa? A 5 Month Update.
- Michael Cintolo presents In sickness and health (insurance).
- VH presents Is the Layoff Boom about to Fall?
|“When people said, ‘It’s impossible, it can’t be done,’ that’s where my imagination came into play.”|
That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of Festival of Frugality using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.